Help Bring Birth Back into the Light
Learn about birth
around the world!
International Alliance of Midwives
Keep in touch with the international birth community. Here's what you can do:
- Become a Fan of IAM on Facebook.
You'll be able to connect with others interested in birth around the world.
International news and updates will be posted to the page.
- Join our Community Site and participate in the International Forum
- Subscribe to Midwifery Today E-News
A few issues each year will be focused on international issues.
- Check the international pages of our Web site.
You'll find information about birth in other countries and other exciting cross-cultural opportunities.
For background ideas on IAM or its philosophy read:
The Power of Words: In honor of all midwives, Midwifery Today does not use the term “traditional birth attendant,” or “TBA.” We do not want to rob anyone who serves birthing women as a midwife of the title “midwife”—because that is what she or he really is.
Goals and Beliefs of IAM
Goals and Beliefs of IAM—in English
- We will work to preserve, honor and learn from traditional midwives.
- We will redefine the term midwife to include all of the world's midwives.
- We will embrace midwives, doulas, parents, childbirth educators, doctors and activists within our organization.
- We will strive for a communal structure that values equality as well as diversity.
- We will advocate for birth change that includes partnership with the families we serve.
- We will glean from the strengths of countries, organizations and individuals throughout the world to energize and fortify midwifery and promote a birth renaissance.
- We will endeavor to de-medicalize midwifery and birth and promote evidence-based care.
- We will do our utmost to protect Motherbaby.
- We will strive to "first do no harm" by nurturing all women, including the midwife.
Metas y Creencias de la Alianza Internacional de Parteras—en español
- Trabajaremos para preservar, honrar y aprender de las parteras tradicionales.
- Redefiniremos el término de partera para incluir a todas las parteras del mundo.
- Acogeremos a parteras, doulas, padres, educadores para el parto, médicos y activistas dentro de nuestra organización.
- Lucharemos por una estructura común que valore tanto la igualdad como la diversidad.
- Defenderemos el cambio en el nacimiento que incluya el establecimiento de una sociedad entre nosotras y las familias a quienes servimos.
- Nos aferraremos a las fortalezas de los países, organizaciones e individuos de todo el mundo para energizar y fortalecer la partería, y promover el renacimiento del nacimiento.
- Nos esforzaremos para desmedicalizar la partería y el nacimiento y en fomentar la atención basada en la evidencia científica.
- Haremos lo posible para proteger la díada madrebebé.
- Acogeremos el principio de "primero no dañar" nutriendo a todas las mujeres, incluyendo a la partera.
Definition of Midwife
Definition of Midwife
A midwife serves women during pregnancy, birth and postpartum. She is trained in the health, physiology and care of women and their babies. Her services are given in a humane and respectful manner, with minimal interference in the physiological process, while honoring the mother’s choices. She can identify problems, knows techniques for managing emergency situations within her resources and refers or transports for medical care when necessary. She is guided by the individual needs of each mother and baby.
A midwife acquires essential knowledge through a variety of routes within an educational format or through a traditional process, as well as from other midwives and by assisting with mothers and babies. She continually updates her knowledge on the basis of evidence, practical experience and educational opportunities. A midwife shares information with mothers, families and the community about her practice, alternative options, rights and responsibilities, wellness, preventive care, bonding, breastfeeding and child rearing. The midwife’s practice is autonomous, interdependent and she may offer her services in any setting.